While there are a lot of services offered by HVAC contractors, here are some of the most common reasons you may call one for.
- Heater or AC doesn’t come on: When this happens, you turn on the AC or heater and nothing happens. If your unit doesn’t respond, it could be a problem with the unit itself or with the thermostat.
- Maintenance: Once a year you need to have your HVAC systems checked by a professional. They’ll check your system for damage or corrosion, examine the blower, check the vents for blockages or leaks, and give the whole system a once over.
- HVAC makes strange noises: If you turn on the heater or air conditioner and hear an odd clanking, banging, screeching, or any other strange sound, It could be from a faulty fan or other part failure.
- Low system performance: If the heater struggles to maintain the temperature, the AC can’t cool quite enough, or the system constantly turns on and off, there is probably something causing degraded performance.
- Poor air quality: Have you noticed strange smells or a lot more dust than usual? There could be a bad air filter or other problem with your HVAC that is causing poor air quality.
When you pay for HVAC service your money goes toward the labor of the technician, the costs associated with running the business, the parts that may be necessary for the service, and for any supplies needed for your project. Costs will vary based on your location. Below are the averages you can expect for some of the usual HVAC repairs or service.
- National Average: $155-515
- Thermostat Replacement: $120-330
- Maintenance: $100-135
- Fan Repair: $365-660
- Coolant Recharge: $150-595
- Ignitor Replacement: $225-335
Tips For Hiring An HVAC Technician
There are a lot of HVAC technician’s around, and that can make it difficult to select a good one. Below are some tips to help get you started in your selection.
Check Reputation And Reviews
The first and best thing you should do when looking for an HVAC technician is to check their reputation and reviews on Best of the Web. You’ll find a list of qualified and verified HVAC professionals near you. You’ll see their reviews, as well as details like their phone number and the hours they operate.
Any quality HVAC technician should be willing to address your questions and concerns. If they won’t, they may not be someone you want to do business with. You can choose someone else if they are unwilling to explain things. Find a professional you feel comfortable with and trust to complete the work properly.
Get It In Writing
You’ll probably want quotes from multiple technicians before hiring. Get their quotes in writing, so you can refer back to that quote when it comes time for the work. This allows you to make sure they only repair what they quoted and charge the quoted price. Technicians should get pre-approval for any work they do above what was in their quote.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I Repair Or Replace My System?
If your HVAC system is over fifteen years old, it’s likely time to replace it. As a system ages, the cost for repairs typically goes up. Older systems may not be as efficient to operate or perform as well as a new system. Also replace your system if the cost of a repair exceeds half the cost of a new system and it is no longer under warranty.
Do HVAC Technicians Have To Be Licensed?
Whether an HVAC technician must be licensed or not depends on the state you reside in. Some states do not require a license, but most do. Often, non-licensed and non-certified technicians may do low-quality work. While not all unlicensed technicians perform substandard work, it increases that risk.
What Is The Best Way To Find A Reputable HVAC Technician Near Me?
The best way to find an HVAC technician near you is to check Best of the Web. You can find a list of HVAC professionals near you, and you can read their reviews and see their details. You’ll find only verified and reputable HVAC technicians, and you can trust what you find.