Common Garage Door Services
You don’t often think about garage door companies until you need them, but the fact is that these businesses provide many helpful services for your home, including:
- New garage door installation - Add a garage door to a property that doesn’t already have one.
- Replace garage door - Remove the existing door and replace it with a newer model.
- Garage door replacement - Replace an existing garage door with a new model. Either for esthetic reasons or improved function.
- Garage door repair - Fix holes, broken parts, or other miscellaneous issues to get your door working again. Also, fix a garage door that has come off of its tracks.
- Safety inspection - Have a professional come out and ensure the safety and security of the garage door.
- Door lubrication - A garage door can only raise and lower properly if it is lubricated. A company can come to ensure it is done correctly. This service should also be completed for noisy doors.
- Sensor replacement and repair - Ensure that the door comes down properly and safely and that the sensors are in good working order.
- Remote programming, installation, and repair - Install a garage door remote, program it, and fix it if necessary.
The services mentioned above cover the primary reasons why you might need to contact a garage door company. However, if you have any issues with your door, you should seek assistance.
Garage Door Services Cost Guide
Below are the average costs that you can expect to pay to install, replace, maintain, or fix a garage door. The prices may vary by location, and if you have multiple issues, then you should expect to pay a higher price.
Installation costs for stock garage doors:
Installation of new garage door (Single garage): $600-$1500
Installation of new garage door (double car door): $800-$1500
Installation costs for custom garage doors:
Partially customized garage door (choose windows, colors, design from a pre-selected list): $800-$2,500
Fully customized garage door: $1500-$10,000
Repair and remote costs:
Installation of garage door opener: $225-$525
Repair a garage door: $150-$350
Repair garage door opener: $125-$350
Repair of a new circuit for garage door opener: $500-$800
Repair garage door spring: $150-$300
Tips For Hiring A Garage Door Company
While garage door companies only work on a specific part of your home, you should still know what is involved and how you can choose the best company for your particular needs.
Get Multiple Price Quotes
There are many garage door companies out there to choose from, so it is important to remember that you don’t have to automatically go with the first company that comes along. Your first step when looking for a company is to read online reviews. Best of the Web is always your best choice for finding the best companies, so take a look and make a shortlist of reputable businesses in your area.
When you call a company, most will come out to give you a free estimate. They will look at the project, the work that will be required, and the tools/materials necessary to complete the job. Then they will give you a price quote. Every company will bid a different amount to do the work, so get multiple quotes so you can determine what is best for your budget and needs.
Ask Important Questions During the Estimate
When the rep from the garage door company comes to your home to complete the estimate, you should ask them questions to ensure that this company is right for your project. These questions will also verify that you are getting a good product. Ask them questions like:
- How long have you been in business?
- Does your company offer 24-hour service if something goes wrong?
- What warranty does your company provide?
- Do you use sub-contractors, or do the technicians work directly with your company?
- What type of payment do you accept (cash, card, pay in installments, etc.)?
- Is your company licensed, bonded, and insured?
Get The Warranty In Writing
Basically, if a garage door company does not offer a warranty, then it is wise to look elsewhere. If they do provide a warranty, then get it in writing and review it. Ask questions about what specifically the warranty covers.
Does it cover parts, labor, or both? What are the terms of the warranty? Is it for a lifetime, or does it expire in a predetermined number of years? How would you get the warranty processed in the case of a problem?
When looking at a company, it is a good idea to research how long they have been in business. The longer they have been operating, the more stable they will likely be. That also tells you the likelihood that they will be around to process any warranty claims.
Get The Right Garage Door Material
Garage doors come in many different materials, and the option you choose will likely depend on what you store in your garage.
Steel is the best material for safety and security because it provides formidable strength, and it is also reasonably priced.
Wood doors will offer decent protection and give your home a look of timeless elegance, but they are often the most expensive to install. Also, they will need to be painted, which may be an extra cost.
Fiberglass is another option that has a protection level between wood and steel and comes with an average installation cost.
Glass doors are another option that provide a great contemporary design. However, they allow passersby to see directly into the garage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are commonly asked questions that folks have before hiring a garage door company:
How Do I Know If My Garage Door Needs To Be Repaired?
While your garage door may still open and close when necessary, there will likely come a time during the ownership of your home when you will want to get a tune-up. There are many signs that it might be time for maintenance:
- The door makes noises during operation, including scraping, grinding, or squeaking.
- The garage door does not open smoothly but instead jerks or shutters as it raises or lowers.
- You notice broken cords or wires.
- The garage door is slower to rise or lower than it used to be.
- Parts of your garage door or the track are deteriorating, or parts are chipped.
- You notice increasing energy bills. This can often happen because your garage door is not properly sealed, and heat is escaping, making your HVAC systems work harder.
Some of these issues may seem minor at the time, but they can quickly escalate if there is no repair. Plus, if your garage door is not working properly, then there could also be safety concerns for your family.
How Do I Choose A Garage Door?
When you replace or add a new garage door, you do have the option to go with a stock door that the company provides, or you can create a custom door. Many people ask how they should select a garage door.
One component you will need to consider is insulation. A poorly insulated door can be troublesome for your utility costs because it will allow energy to escape, so your HVAC system has to work twice as hard. Choose a door that has insulation and other energy efficiency precautions.
Safety is also a consideration when choosing a final product. Since steel is so strong, consider it if you have valuable possessions in your garage. Many people choose a garage door design that has small windows but remember that if you can see out, other people can see in.
How Often Do I Need To Replace A Garage Door?
Most experts say that a garage door can last between 15-30 years. In fact, many homeowners have the same door for the entire time they live in a house, and typically, a garage door only needs to be replaced if it is damaged by an object like a car or the owner makes the decision to replace it. However, if you want to get the maximum duration out of this garage door, then you need to fix issues whenever they happen and be proactive with regular maintenance.
There are several ways that you can ensure the longevity of your garage door, including inspecting the hardware and rollers from time to time to check for damage, lubricating all moving parts twice per year, and cleaning/power washing it whenever you clean the rest of the exterior of your home.
Even if you take the proper precautions, your door still has moving parts that can fail over time. If it happens, contact one of these highly-qualified garage door companies.